Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Was on My Site Twice -- What Happens?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just redesigned my site, but my developer and I were looking at the old code and we realized that my Google Analytics code was on the site twice. It was in the header and footer. Now I am wondering if all the data from the past was accounted for incorrectly (double). If the code is on their twice, could users have been counted twice all along?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Was on My Site Twice -- What Happens?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stacy,

Having two Google Analytics snippets pointing to the same property will result in double counting page views and a very low bounce rate. Make sure to have only one instance of the tracking code installed. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I dont know where is the code I mean i do know the second code I pasted but dont know the first one I looked it up everywhere couldn't find one.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Hasan,

It might be inserted through a plugin or a setting if you're using a CMS like Wordpress for example.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yap it was a plugin. thanks for the help.

Google Analytics Was on My Site Twice -- What Happens?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold! would events also be fired twice if the snippet is in there twice? or is it just page views that double-count?