Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Tracking Properly?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know there is a discrepancy between Joomla hits and Google analytics sessions. However I can't work out why an article today has had 143 hits on Joomla so far but only 14 uniques on Google analytics. It has been picked up on social media by influential groups and so I do believe there has been a great response to the article. How can I work out if something is wrong with my Google Analytics that it is not recording all the page views etc? Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David H
December 2015

Re: Google Analytics Tracking Properly?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien

Thanks for the correction. Hopefully all good now.

Really appreciate your help!

David

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, can you share a URL maybe?

As a rule of thumb, do not compare figures provided by a platform versus a tagging solution such as Google Analytics.

By definition they have different accounting methods (server-side for Joomla, client-side for GA). It doesn't mean one of the two is wrong, just that they count things differently.

Also, you can check whether your pages contain and trigger the Google Analytics tracking code, using the Tag Assistant for Chrome or Hub'Scan 

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
URL is https://www.theworldlovesmelbourne.com. I understand there's a difference but the extent of the difference 147 to 14 makes me wonder. Could a plug in be interfering? Could https be a factor? Thanks Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

First of all, your installation of the tracking code has a few issues.

1- you're inserting your tracking code twice; once in the HEAD tag (using a plugin) and once in the BODY tag
2- your script in the BODY tag uses forceSSL for a reason I can't quite grasp since the Universal Analytics tracks SSL/HTTPS by default.

Solution:
1 - Remove/disable your plug-in
2 - Move your tracking code to the HEAD tag or at the top of the BODY tag
3 - Modify that script to only contain the following:

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-24538858-3', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

My recommendation is to stick to GA stats and disregard Joomla's, if only because you can link GA stats to traffic sources, conversion rate and the rest of the Google ecosystem.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien

Thank you so much! Much appreciated!

I have disabled the plug in as you instructed.

I have copied the script you outlined above and added this Google Analytics code to the template layouts/theme.php file just above the <head> as directed by Google.

Trusting it all looks good now?

Thanks!

David

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
ack, no, you placed your code in between the HTML and HEAD tags :-(

Please put it *INSIDE* the HEAD tag.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David H
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien

Thanks for the correction. Hopefully all good now.

Really appreciate your help!

David