Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Tracker Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my Weebly site, I have two Google Analytics codes that I've only recently discovered are creating an issue. One of them is in the Header code of the website under Settings (i.e., where Weebly tells you to put it). That account is getting only spam data and not real data about the site. Why?

The other code is "embedded" in the home page. Although it is only on the home page, it appears to be tracking all of the pages on the site. Why would the code embedded on the home page be tracking what the code in Settings is not?

I'm trying to switch over to Tag Manager, but I'm nervous about screwing something up, so I'm trying to understand how it is currently working. Why is the home page code tracking all pages but the Settings/Header code isn't? Doesn't make sense. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Analytics Tracker Issue

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Elana,

If the snippets are using the same snippet then this is expected.  You cannot use two trackers on the same site without naming one of them. 

I suggest you move to GTM as planned and deploy only one tag.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn