Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Reporting Concern

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting in June my pageviews decreased by roughly 50%. I attributed it to the summer slump, but thought the drop-off was higher than usual.

Last week I received my media impressions and ad revenue information from June, and my impressions were consistent with prior months.

Can someone help me to understand how GA can be showing such a steep drop off in views, yet my ad impressions are the same as prior months (without any changes in number of ads shown, etc).

Could there be an issue with the way GA is reading/reporting on my site?

I have a Wordpress site and am using the Google Analytics plugin for my tracking code.

Site is http://cowgirlruns.com/

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Reporting Concern

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Angela,

You may have taken an SEO hit.

Go to Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Source/Medium and select a date range after the drop and select compare to previous period in the date range selector. Then change your sort type to absolute change to see the sources that you've lost.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Angela :-)
Which google analytics plugin are you using (there are many available for use)

What is your GA Tracking ID I'm seeing two when i check the site with GTA
UA-73872700-50 is installed via Google Tag Manager, however the GTM installation is showing an error
and another for UA-45851381-1 which seems to possibly be tied to an affiliate app of some kind however there
is a code error in relation to the app

I'm not seeing anything in regards to tracking code installed with a GA Plugin?
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Ditto on what @Bronwyn said. Smiley Happy
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The plugin I am using is Google Analytics Dashboard for WP and GA code is UA-45851381-1.

The UA-73872700-50 is the tracking code used by my ad company, which is showing significantly different impressions when compared to the pageviews being recorded by my GA account, which is why I'm wondering if there's some kind of error in how GA is recording visitors and pageviews on my site.

I may be interpreting this incorrectly, but I'd assume a decrease in pageviews from GA would correlate to a decrease in impressions (as I've made no changes with the location or ads installed); however, my pageviews have decreased by roughly 50% whereas the change in ad impressions is merely a decrease of 12% (which is why I'd expect to see during the summer months).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Angela :-)
I have used that plugin in the past.
I've rechecked the page and im not seeing any error with the traking code via the plugin.in Google Tag Assistant
However, their are some coding errors in the page which might possible affect the tracking code

Also the tracking code being inserted is the older ga.js version - not sure if you have considered updating to the current version Universal Analytics.

Have you done as per @Theo Bennett suggestion:
Go to Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Source/Medium and select a date range after the drop and select compare to previous period in the date range selector. Then change your sort type to absolute change to see the sources that you've lost.

(Hi Theo we seem to have cross posted with eachother earlier :-) )

Without being familiar with your site and GA account. It's possible that the drop may be due to some of the earlier traffic being from spam data and being injected into your reports. In which case the traffic does not actually visit the website, it just shows up as pageviews etc in your GA reports.

Do you have any Views setup with filters or similar? 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I compared Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Source/Medium for both before and after the drop off and don't see any significant variances between the two time-frames.

For some reason I thought my account had updated to Universal Analytics and now I'm not certain how to change that over. Probably because I'm not overly knowledgable about that.

I have one filter set up to filter any views from my IP address from my site, but that's all.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The GA Account/Property has been upgraded to Universal
You will need to change the plugin configuration to use Universal analytics tracking code instead of the ga.js
If you need help with the plugin re configuration etc, the plugin developer does offer support for the plugin.

You should have one View without any filters applied to it.. this way there is an unedited raw copy of data to compare
against should it be needed for reporting purposes.

Do you have a static IP?

@Theo Bennett may also be able to offer further thoughts/insights/suggestions on the matter too.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Agnela, @Bronwyn,

No worries on the cross post... we both replied at about the same time.

Steps are as @bronwyn laid out, first check tracking code and having one code in line through your plug-in and one via GTM should not cause issues as GTM uses a private named tracker. Also, you should update to Universal collection, but that should not have any impact on the data you've been collecting as GA still process hits from GA.JS.

That said, do you have any insights to what is actually collected in the -50 property? That is, from which hostnames etc? Perhaps that data is inflated and yours is fine. As @Bronwyn suggested, that account and property could be the recepient of referral spam or perhaps your site had some.

Do the date range comparison (Actually select the comparison and don't look at them separately) in Source/Medium and select absolute change to see if you've had a significant drop from any source. This method actually shows you the largest increases and drops when you toggle (Click) on the session (or other) column header. That may help you figure out where the drop occurred.

I would post screenshots to help but I have not been able to add any for months as there is some random problem in the forum software for some users. Smiley Sad

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn