Analytics
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Pulling In Wrong Location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am testing if my Google Analytics tracking code is working correctly, and I have gone on the site, looked at Real View in GA and it is saying I am in London (I am actually in Bristol), then I tried using my mobile data and GA is saying I'm in Birmingham..... What is wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Katie P
October 2016

Re: Google Analytics Pulling In Wrong Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Katie P,

right you are.

Maybe, some day, when nearly everyone has booked a static IP and we get IPv6 and http/2, then maybe it will be more accurate.

It isn't dependable statistical data until you've got enough data to produce some.

Aloha

Arne

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Katie P,

almost nothing's wrong.

Not every IP your device is assigned to shows your exact position (Thank God!).

Your provider gives you an IP which is available from one of their pools and if the pool in Bristol is empty at that time, you'll be booked in another.

Most of the time it resolves right to the location but sometimes not!

I'm sitting in Germany in a town near Hamburg and often my provider assigns an IP from Frankfurt which is nearly 600 km away!

So, everything's fine, no need to worry!

Greetings to Bristol

Arne

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Katie :-)
Nothing is wrong, it depends on where your ISP routes your internet connection through and the 3rd party data centers that Google use to send the geolocation data back to the reports.

I'm in NY however I am also often tracked as being in the states New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania. It varies from time to time.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Thank you for your reply! Does this mean when looking at GA location data for users on the site that it is not necessarily accurate?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Katie P
October 2016

Re: Google Analytics Pulling In Wrong Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Katie P,

right you are.

Maybe, some day, when nearly everyone has booked a static IP and we get IPv6 and http/2, then maybe it will be more accurate.

It isn't dependable statistical data until you've got enough data to produce some.

Aloha

Arne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It will be OK til you run google ads.

I wonder if I set google ads focus on people who are in X city, but may it be show ads to people in Y city? and people in X city cannot seen my ads? 

OMG!!!!!