Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytic Code implementation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am running into a weird problem with one of my clients.

Someone previously installed the tracking code on their sites. They have 2 sites front store: www.xyz.com and check out process : secure.xyz.com (where the goal and conversions tracking happens)

I don't see any GA code implemented on the check out process site but on my dashboard, i can see all the conversions have been recorded.

Is there a way to record conversions without implementing the code on the site?

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytic Code implementation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @kelly d,

They could be using custom tracking and/or not using a standard UA tracking code that is typical or one that you recognize. 

You can install a free Google Chrome extension called Google Tag Assistant that is great at exploring tracking code like this. Install it, visit the website and the page in question, enable Tag Assistant and refresh the webpage... you will learn much about the code implemented. 

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Google Analytic Code implementation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Kelly -- Is your client using GTM on the secure.xyz.com site? If so, you won't see a GA code hardcoded in the source code, rather you will see a GTM code snippet.

If they aren't using GTM on the site, are you sure the conversions and goal information is for the secure.xyz.com site, or are the conversions and goals things that are happening on the www.xyz.com site? Can use the Events > Pages report in GA to confirm the URL (and add a secondary dimension of 'Domain' if necessary).
-Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, all good. I found out that we do have a GTM installed. However, I ran to another problem as I think we need to install it as cross domain tracking to get the data more correctly. Do you think its necessary to set up as cross domain tracking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kelly,

I have just checked with GTM and at least for my website I did not need to do any cross-domain tracking for sub domains. So, when you have secure.xyz.com and www.xyz.com. 

You can also take a look at your cookies. There you will see that Google sets the cookie at .xyz.com, which means it sets it at the second-level domain and all domains below will be able to read the cookie.