Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Going from a basic tracking code to a GTM tracking code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

I'm currently working for a company that implement the analytics tracking code through MonsterInsights for wordpress and I want to change it to a GTM tracking code. But I'm afraid to loose all the data I've already got. I'm not sure if I can change it in the source code pages without risking to loose it. Is anybody here already tried that ? It'll be the same ID analytics so I don't think I may loose it, but I can not take the risk, I have to be 100% sure.

Thank you for your help ! 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Changing out the code on the site will not affect the data you have already collected. If the code is removed, or broken, GA will simply show a gap in the data collection - the account itself will not be deleted; only the account admin can delete the account.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mathilde,

You can set up your GTM container with your Analytics tracking code before you install the container.  Installing the container and removing the existing tracking code shouldn't take very long.  I can't see you missing very much of anything.  

Your data in analytics isn't going anywhere.  If you maintain the same account, GTM will pick up where your other implementation leaves off.

This is a very standard practice.  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Have you come across the guide below? I'd definitely take a look. 

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/07/16/safely-migrating-to-google-tag-manager/

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

I did it so many times. Install the GTM container and create all GA Events and check all date in preview mode. If you are happy with all the data that came through preview mode then you can publish the GTM and remove MonsterInsights. 

Thanks,

Sura