Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Goal reports: How to capture referrer of long multi-site funnel leading to sale

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having difficulty doing this with cross-domain tracking and want to even get a sense of whether this is possible and if so how.

There's a funnel as follows:

- Person reaches a page on site 1 where they can opt-in to join a webinar.

- After opting in, they reach a page on site 2 (WebinarJam, which allows analytics code being added).

- People attend the webinar also on WebinarJam, but at a later time.

- People wanting to buy what's offered on the webinar click a link going to site 3 where the sales page is.

- People from there click the buy link which takes them to site 4 (ClickBank, which allows analytics code being added).

- When they complete the purchase, they go to site 5, which is a subdomain of site 3 and where they log in to access what they purchased.

The goal for the purchase is on the property of site 3. What we need is to be able to know where the visitor completing each goal originally came from to reach site 1. This could range from organic Google/Facebook/YouTube traffic to paid AdWords/Facebook/YouTube traffic. At the least we need to know whether it was paid or organic and which source it was from, and even better would be which campaign, but at least knowing the source would help a lot so we could get a sense of profitability of ads.

How is this supposed to be done?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Very interesting task!

I would say that you can figure out the original source if you implement cross-domain tracking across all those 3 domains. It means that there should be exactly the same tracking ID installed on all those 3 pages and cross-domain tracking should be implemented properly. If it's done, you're able to see the original source and medium in your reports as well.

What can be complicated is that sometimes third-party sites like WebinarJam do not let you add custom JS code on their site and it makes it hard/impossible to implement cross-domain tracking. For example, if it's possible to add GTM (Google Tag Manager) code on the third-party site then it's way better and easier for you to implement cross-domain tracking (but most of the third-party sites do not let you do that).

Try to figure out, is it possible to implement cross-domain tracking across all those 3 websites. If it's not possible, unfortunately, I think there's no way you can get information about original source using Google Analytics. Customer ID value has to be transferred from one domain to the other, in order to see the original source in GA. That's why we have cross-domain tracking that allows the source domain to place the customer ID in the URL parameters of a link, where the destination domain can access it.

Unfortunately, if customer ID will not be transferred (cross-domain tracking is not configured) from domain A -> domain B -> domain C, we cannot see the original source that we want.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes Steve.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thanks for the quick response! Looking in WebinarJam, you're right in that they simply ask for the UA code rather than ability to put in the full Analytics code.

I have a couple questions:

1. If I'm using the same UA ID across the domains (which would mean they would fall into the same property), wouldn't that cause issues with for instance differentiating traffic between the root of site 1 and the root of site 3 in my scenario? Would having the same UA ID across the domains work with the WebinarJam just accepting UA, or without the cross-domain tracking does it not see the traffic as being the same session?

2. If there's no issues with multiple domains in a single UA ID, then if I have the domains all in the same property, can I have goal paths going across different sites?

3. If so, if I put a goal path as essentially the scenario I described - the site 1 URL, site 2 URL, site 3 URL, site 4 URL and the final site 5 URL, then would that help the focus of the goal reporting to be where the traffic came from to hit that goal path?

4. Can goal paths be separate but inclusive? i.e. can a goal path be the site 3 -> 4 -> 5 and another be site 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5?

5. I had seen Client ID as being something that helps track a a single user across multiple sessions rather than a single session, and that's the sort of thing I'm after since again the time between site 2 and site 3 could be days. How is there a way to make tracking more focused on users vs. sessions, or would the goal path setup mentioned above help me do that?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great questions Steve! I like that you really want to dig deeper and understand the technical side of this process.

1) I usually recommend creating a completely new property for cross-domain tracking. You're right, all the traffic will fall into the same property in this case - that's the only way cross-domain tracking works. You can separate different domains using segments later on if you want. Unfortunately, it's not enough to only have the same UA ID across the domains. Client ID's will not be transferred without the cross-domain tracking setup. What happens is that you'll just see 3 different sessions (not 1 session) in Google Analytics and only the first one has the original source/medium.

2. Yes, if you've implemented cross-domain tracking properly, you can analyze hit-level, session-level and user-level metrics/dimensions across the domains. For GA it looks like: 3 domains = 1 website

3. and 4.  Since GA uses cookies to persist the Client ID, once the user moves from domain to domain it’s important to somehow pass this Client ID. If we do not pass the Client ID, sessions will be broken and we cannot figure out the original source if our goal has been configured on the 3rd domain. If cross-domain tracking is working, all traffic from one domain to another should be part of the same session, and thus attributed to the same Source / Medium dimensions.

5. You're right. Client ID is something that helps track a single user across multiple sessions to the same website (domain). But if you're moving from one domain to another, your Client ID will change (session changes, a new session will be initiated) if cross-domain tracking is not implemented.

Here you'll find a couple of great articles that cover the technical side of it:

1) http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/08/01/need-cross-domain-tracking/

2) https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/

3) https://www.optimizesmart.com/cross-domain-tracking-in-universal-analytics-demystified/

If you go through these articles you'll get even more information about that. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Taavi - I appreciate all your help! Thankfully I figured out WebinarJam/Everwebinar does have a custom tracking code area, so I've put in GTM with the GA code. So overall I've started implementing this and will confirm once I know for sure if it's working.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update: Still seems like it's not working and I have some questions:

1. People are dropping off at the WebinarJam step of the goal. If I remove that step from the goal, would the goal work for the rest of it?

2. I notice that for the goal URL, you can change it to "begins with" - when adding additional funnel steps, are those URLs exact URLs only or are they "begins with" if the goal URL is set as "begins with"

3. Can goals be strewn together in any way? i.e. could I have as an initial goal that they reach WebinarJam, then a next goal that they reach site 3, etc., and if so, is there any way to get reporting on referrers going into the start of goal 1 that ultimately reached the last goal?

Thanks in advance! I really didn't expect this was going to be so hard to implement and get proper reporting on.

Edit: Oops - had notes below this that I meant to remove.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

1. Did you implement cross-domain tracking on your third site (sales page) as well? Are all the steps required in your GA goal settings? If those steps are not required, you can remove this step and test it again but I think the problem is that there's something wrong with the cross-domain tracking.

2. The match type you select for the destination also applies to any URL in the funnel section. I usually prefer using Regular Expression match type but then you'll need to make sure that it's configured properly as well.

3. Technically, it's possible and you can segment out those visitors who have completed all those different goals. But to be honest, I think it's not the best way to do that. If you have implemented cross-domain tracking properly, you can use a funnel instead and it's way better.

Could you please share all those 3 URLs? I will take a look at your configuration and will let you know if cross-domain tracking works properly or not. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

First, one thing I discovered is that on WebinarJam, even with using the custom tracking script section, Google Tag Manager doesn't appear to work. That's why there was the drop-off and I've just fixed that today, so I should see hopefully tomorrow that help fix things up.

There are actually 3 different funnels I'm dealing with so I'll mention them all:

Funnel 1: jetset.money > WebinarJam > imjetset.com > ClickBank (which has both the order page and the post-order page) > members.imjetset.com (which is where people register for the program after purchasing it)

Funnel 2: startup-success.net > WebinarJam > imjetset.com > ClickBank > members.imjetset.com

Funnel 3: startup-success.net (different opt-in page) > johncrestani.clickfunnels.com (which has a series of videos dripped over 4 days) > imjetset.com > ClickBank > members.imjetset.com

Funnel 3 I hadn't put in yet until today. I'd just put in lead goals before your response came through - I'll keep them in today just to see tomorrow how things look on the reporting side.

The tracking code is loaded via Google Tag Manager everywhere I believe except for WebinarJam, where I can't load it that way.

For WebinarJam, this is the Universal Analytics code I put in place:

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-61042384-4', 'auto', {allowLinker: true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['imjetset.com', 'jetset.money', 'startup-success.net', 'webinarjam.net', 'clickbank.net', 'johncrestani.com', 'joinjohn.com', 'johncrestani.clickfunnels.com']);
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Does that look right? I wish there was an option for GTM to spit out what code would be for Universal Analytics after setting it up just in case the GTM code won't work somewhere.

I'll see tomorrow if the changes I implemented will work. Thank you for answer #2 - that is what I figured and that confirms that I can set up what I figured I could as far as a full goal funnel from visit to the first site through to purchase.

Let me know any comments you have on this setup in the meantime.

Re: Goal reports: How to capture referrer of long multi-site funnel leading to sale

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

How's it going? Smiley Happy

Sorry for the late response. I read through your comment and here you'll find my suggestions:

1) Make sure that you configure subdomain tracking in GTM as well. It's important because if the visitor first visits members.imjetset.com, and then moves to imjetset.com, these two domains will have different _ga cookies, and thus different Client IDs, and thus the user will be a different user with a new session! If it's possible (users can move from members.imjetset.com to imjetset.com), you should implement subdomain tracking through GTM.

That's how you can do it (add it to all your tags):

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 05.52.51.png

2) Your code that you used for WebinarJam seems correct. Just make sure you use exactly the same UA code in GTM and in the WebinarJam GA code.

Let me know how it works @Steve J. You've already done a great job. High five!

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Sorry for my delays on responding further on this. I'm unfortunately still having issues on this and would appreciate feedback.

1. It seems WebinarJam isn't registering the traffic to the thank you page, or at least despite putting in the URL it instructs to for the lead goals I set up, the lead goals aren't counting any conversions even though there have been conversions. I'm not so concerned with this honestly - it would be nice to have lead counts too, but I'm more concerned about attributing sales to the initial referrers into the funnels.

2. On that end, I'm finding something odd happening. My client had a goal set up before I started helping him on this that had a goal path of sales page > checkout page > thank you page. The sales goals I set up were for opt-in page > opt-in thank you page > sales page > checkout page > thank you page, as in I put those funnel steps in and set it as required. Keep in mind I did this for 3 separate funnels, and he does also get sales that wouldn't fit into any of those funnels since he has affiliates that send people directly to the sales page.

Analytics however is showing the same goal count for all of those funnels. It's as if it's ignoring that I set the funnel as "required" on those goals I set up. I can't figure out how to resolve this.

Oddly enough, when I go into goal flow, it would seem to show me a percentage of people that reached the goal that seem to have gone through the funnel, but I'm not sure why I can't get it to instead show only those conversions as conversions for those goals rather than show all conversions and have goal flow be the only place I can seem to get a sense of which conversions came from where.

3. One issue I'm having on the reporting side is it's still showing a lot of referrers as being (direct). There realistically should be almost no referrers as direct for the sales. It basically goes back to #2 where I may be able to see in goal flow the people going through the funnel and converting, but Google doesn't have the statistics correctly showing only those conversions for the respective goals and the reporting I think can't be accurate because of that.

This is the big issue. I need a report that would show by source/medium a line item breakdown of how many sales came from each source/medium, and ideally which funnel they went through since the source/medium SHOULD be traffic entering into these funnels, not traffic that's already in these funnels entering a particular step of them.

4. For traffic that is from the root of one of the many domains in this property, how can I have "/" be fleshed out to showing the full hostname?

Does all that make sense? I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what's wrong in the setup to get what I ultimately need and I can't.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Steve