AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Get the utm from analytics.js cookie

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to populate my CRM tool (Pardot) with the campaign, source, medium, content and term parameters.

I have found a way to get them on my CRM tool when the utms are present in the url however I would also like to have the same visibility when someone end up on a page that doesn't have utms in url (e.g. organic, direct, referral).

My coding knowledge is very basic and would need a step by step guide to implement this.

I have read that you can custom your cookie to set your campaign name, source and so on, the thing is that I don't want to set them up, I'd like them to update in function of where the user came from.

Any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Delphine

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, @Delphine D

Universal analytics cookies do not store source and medium information.

Values for source and medium are populated on the Google Analytics servers' side so you can't access this data outside Analytics report.

You could search for scripts that perform some similar attribution but with no guarantee to match GA data.

Otherwise implementing userId tracking will allow you to import data from you CRM to google analytics to perform analysis within Analytics reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Дмитро Б,

I am surprised by this. I found this article that explain how to do that with Salesforce. Have you come across this before?

https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/the-ultimate-guide-to-universal-analytics-integration-wi...

I thought about the second alternative but there again I need to make more research to see how to implement it.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@Delphine D This guide is based on Classsic analytics that store source data in __utmz coockies. But this is not the case with Universal analytics.

Re: Get the utm from analytics.js cookie

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

as stated in the guide, this integration relies on the custom script  GASalesforce.js  that utilize legacy GA code. In fact this script sets old GA along with universal GA, extracts cookie data and then sends it back to CRM

e-nor.com-2017-02-09-18-15-08.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Дмитро Б,

oh ok, because they talk about universal analytics in the title and article so I thought it was working with the new analytics.

Is it possible then to create your own cookie that could track all those data and then communicate them to Pardot?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You can definitely reuse e-nor approach but it could have some deviation from universal data. And the link with Adwords will be broken.