Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GTM v GA giving different traffic results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have Universal tracking tracking on our site and recently added GTM as well. I've noticed that GTM is showing more users visiting my site.

Even when I watch the traffic in realtime I can see a discrepancy between the two.

The filters etc are identical on both and I can't see any other obvious reason for this.

Just wondering if I have missed something or if anyone else has had this experience.

Many thanks

Re: GTM v GA giving different traffic results

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
You can easily debug on the website with GA debugger:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna

You can check in chrome, console tab with 'Preserve log' turned ON.

Unless a business requirement, you can remove the old code and have only the latest one on the site.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Is it a consistent discrepancy? They're both the same, except the GTM is a container for more than simply the GA code. So it is a page discrepancy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the responses. All code is implemented correctly, including cross-domain tracking etc.

I've been tracking for over a month and the issue has been constant, around 6-8% more sessions each day being recorded in in the GA code implemented via GTM than in my original GA code. Cannot find any obvious discrepancy, every result is different between them (audience, acquistion method, content viewed).

We will be switching to just using GTM soon but would be good to know if we really are getting more traffic or not. Seems very strange they are seeing different activity.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
The one with the lower number is coded incorrectly on a few pages. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.