AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GTM implementation across multiple websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, the agency I work for represents a number of clients who have a corporate structure but many physical locations and each location has a website. We want to implement GTM on each of them, and are trying to consider the best implementation. Do we use one container snippet and post to all locations (they're structured very similarly), or should each one get its own container snippet?

Originally I thought the first option wouldn't be possible, but after watching the Q&A with Krista Seiden on Analytics Academy, there's a point where she mentions that implementation could work when using lookup variables in conjunction, but I'm not sure I understand how this would work and I think it would cut down on hours drastically to manage it this way. For reference, we manage over 300 websites this way, so imagine setting up 300+ container snippets and programming tag manager on each one. 

Anyone with experience or knowledge on this implementation method, please speak up! 

Also, the video for reference: https://youtu.be/XBCNJo9qGH8?t=10m31s

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brett,

I would suggest going with a single container and using a lookup table variable that would output the UA-ID based on the hostname.

Please check the article below for details:

http://www.dashboardjunkie.com/gtm/variables/lookup-table-ga-id

I set up tracking this way for 60+ sites using a single container and it works fine for years without any issues.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Brett, 

as Arnold pointed out, a lookup table can be helpful but has serious limitations.

For a workaround, see my post at:

http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/05/17/google-analytics-property-id-management-with-google-tag-manage...

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you limited in your ability to collect or segment data? Let me give an example. If I wanted to track form abandonment I would setup two events - one at the top of the form in the first field and one at the "submit" button. If 700 people start the form and 350 make it to the submit button, then I know abandonment is 50%.

So a few questions:

1. Will I still need to setup a tag for each URL, or will this implementation allow me to set this up once and deploy across all domains? 

2. When I collect the data, will it aggregate it into one google analytics property, or will it distribute the data to each property? Do I need to tie all these domains into one google analytics property?

3. Will I be able to segment data by domain if necessary? 

4. We already have UA codes setup on our websites; will we need to remove those and add back in through GTM, or will we need to have two UA codes? 

Still trying to understand this structure. I get that it can output the UA-ID pretty easily and that part is nice, but we have a system in place that works just as well for deploying UA-ID on the websites. We're more interested in tag manager as a means of measuring other activities on the website. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

1. You will need to set up the event tracking tag only once and use the same lookup table for the UA-ID you use for the page view tracking tag. Also you need to set up the variables for event tracking only once.

2. The event tracking tag will send the data to the property where it belongs, the lookup table will take care of this

3. You will receive the data from a single domain in each property. One domain, one property.

4. You'll need to remove the UA codes to avoid double tracking. Please check the articles below about migrating tags to GTM:

https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/devguide#migration

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/07/16/safely-migrating-to-google-tag-manager/

Make sure you migrate all your tracking to GTM including events and ecommerce tracking (if exist)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold

Is it also possible to use the lookup table for the following design?

3 websites (same structure, different countries and domains)

1 GA property -> 4 views (one for each regional website and a total view)

1 GTM container for all 3 websites

Thanks,

Elad

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You can try, at your own risk :-)

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was fast Smiley Wink

So given that there's a single GA property ID, how would you set up the look up table?

Can I set it up to send the data to a specific GA view?

Re: GTM implementation across multiple websites

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

That's the thing: you only have one property so you need filtering at the view level to only take into account one country version. See below (assuming your English site uses the /en/ folder structure)

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 15.03.32.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if I understand correctly:

1 GA property and 1 GTM container for all 3 websites, and just create different filter views in GA (filter by domain).

The look up table is irrelevant in this case...

Correct?