AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GTM GA Enhanced Ecommerce Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking to implement enhanced ecommerce on a web-store, initially just the checkout steps and then the shopping steps in the future. Information I would like to capture are drop-off/abandonment numbers at each step of the checkout and also the financial cost associated with each step (this metric is available in the DOM). Thus this would give me a visual of customer loss and financial loss associated with each checkout step.

Would you recommend implementation through the data layer or through a custom javascript variable? I am also having trouble finding information on how to attribute the cost/finance to each step along with the number of instances.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

GTM GA Enhanced Ecommerce Question

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

data layer would be much better and flexible option.

For assigning values to each step you can set up a  custom dimension value.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce

ga('ec:addImpression', {            // Provide product details in an impressionFieldObject.

'id': 'P12345',                   // Product ID (string).

'name': 'Android Warhol T-Shirt', // Product name (string).

'category': 'Apparel/T-Shirts',   // Product category (string).

'brand': 'Google',                // Product brand (string).

'variant': 'Black',               // Product variant (string).

'list': 'Search Results',         // Product list (string).

'position': 1,                    // Product position (number).

'dimension1': 'Member'            // Custom dimension (string).
});

If it helped please like and accept as solution. :-)