AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GTM Data Import Custom Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 

I am trying to get custom dimensions to work via GTM. I've done this before using hard coding, but can't seem to find the right resource for this. 

I have custom dimension 1 working as userid - then i typically upload my data set and map 3 additional custom dimensions (data from our CMS) to that using userid as the key. As they aren't data layer components, how do i need to set up the custom dimensions in GTM?

Currently, the custom dimensions are set up but I don't know how to create the variables.

I feel like I have searched exhaustively but either I'm missing something obvious or ... that. Any help would be appreciated!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GTM Data Import Custom Dimensions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Chatlotte,

There is a straight forward guide on how to do it here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/data-import-user

And if you're not sure how to do in GTM, you just need to select the custom dimension area in your Universal tags and add the index number from the custom dimensions that you already created in GA, then add in the dataLayer variable that you created to get the value from the dataLayer.

Let me know if that makes sense. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo!

I've got the custom dimensions set up and then added in GTM - just need to figure out the data layer snippet formatting. To the blogs! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Charlotte,

Do you have the dataLayer configured?

If you do, grabbing the value is super simple. Oh wait, I just re-read your post. So the values that you want to use are not in the dataLayer; where are they?

Edit: So the values you want to pass are coming from your CRM and are not on page?  Then don't worry about the tag, just upload them as usual.  The only thing you need to configure in GTM is the custom dimension that is the bridge between the GA data and CRM data and it sounds like you already did that. Smiley Happy  

Hope that helps and sorry for the confusion. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Theo!

To confirm:
- set up custom dimensions in GA (check)
- set up and upload data import (check)
- key dimension for data import live in GTM & working in GA (check)
- data should start to populate (i'm impatient, likely)
- NO custom dimensions other than the KEY one from data layer in GTM needed

missing a step? Sorry to be so pedantic but you know when you feel like youve modified things seventy times and aren't sure what might be right or wrong? Smiley Wink