Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA tracking code not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings, 

I am helping out a friend update his website (http://www.mgjewelrylubbock.com/), and I got a Analytics account set up and I placed the code snippet into the website several ways, but none of them seem to allow data to be registered properly. For example, when I look at the page with my browsers that have ad-blockers, GA does not register that someone is looking at the site, even though the same browsers do not block GA when I look at other sites I have GA installed on. But when I look at the site with Safari (which doesn't have an ad-block) GA does pick up a viewer properly, but when I exit the Safari browser the viewer remains on 'real time' visitors until after I exit the GA admin page. During this time GA does see that there has been data collected in the past 48 hours, but when I exit Safari and reload the GA admin page, I see that it says no data has been collected in the past 48 hours. 

Also, when I try to look at the site from a proxy browser to ensure there are no IP filtering issues, no traffic is registered by GA. There is also zero traffic that GA displays on the various site data tabs (the site barely gets any traffic but this should be above zero).

I'm pretty baffled by what is going on, anyone have any advice to resolve this?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA tracking code not working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

I checked the site with Chrome and it is sending the pageview request even though you have the GA tracking code in external file.
I recommend placing the code directly since you might encounter other difficulties too.
I'm certain that there are good plugins for Joomla to place the GA tracking code in standard way.

Have you created any filters to your GA account? Or made any changes to settings?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer. I have two websites that I have GA accounts set up with, one filters my IP out, and the site I am mentioning does not have any filters. I just check the GA account for that site and it has picked up traffic that is coming into the 'Audience' tab, so maybe it is working after all. But I tried checking the site from a proxy browser and I do not appear in the Real Time tab. On my other site this works fine for me, even if I am checking from a browser that has ad-block on. I have changed the GA code and now it is inlined just before the element. Maybe the data is just late in arriving to Google's server for some reason, and the data I see in Audience is just now appearing... Do you have any other recommendations? Sam

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
not at the moment. lets wait 24 hours for data to appear. do you have any ballpark how much traffic you should get?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.