Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA tags not firing when opening in new tab

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using the Google Tag Assistant extension in Chrome I noticed that my tracking tags aren't firing when the content is opening in a new tab.

A couple of scenarios:
1. When visitors click on a hyperlink on another website (for ex: Facebook), which opens my website in a new tab, the tags do not fire (pageview not tracked, session not started)
2. When visitors are already on my website, they open a post by "open in new tab", the tags do not fire.

However, if I just refresh the page (and therefore the content doesn't technically open in a new tab), the tags fire normally.
If I browse content on my website normally, without opening in new tab, the tags fire normally too.

I've searched through various forums but can't seem to find anything similar.

The domain in question is "us.tomonews.com"
What could the issue be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I notice the tracking code snippet has some modifications done to it, does it work as expected when an unedited copy of the tracking code snippet is used?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've replaced the code with the unedited version (although there are 2 empty functions that we've left there in case they get called), and it is still not working as expected.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

what are you seeing in chrome console (press f12 and load the page) with GA debugger ON?

Any errors?

Re: GA tags not firing when opening in new tab

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No errors under GA debugger.

The only error (outside of the GA Debugger section) is for adLoadError for our pre-roll ads, which shouldn't affect GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Does anyone have any insights for this?

I've also noticed that when analyzing my traffic, a lot of "Referral Paths" are "not set".

I think this may be caused by the tracking codes not firing correctly when opening in a new tab.