AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA parameters gets appended in URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have recently implemented new responsive design to my site and have received a new issue with the site now.

When i check any of my page's cache page, all looks good but when i click on any of the links from that cached page, it leads me to that page but appends that URL with GA parameters like

"/?_ga=1.35029929.940644558.1456413981".

When I checked in GA debugger above parameters falls/appears like below:-

Loaded linker parameter:1.35029929.940644558.1456413981 (same as the appended string)

clientId : (&cid):940644558.1456413981

I have kept below settings in my GA tracking code :- 

allowLinker: true,
cookieDomain: "auto"

Can anyone suggest why is this happening and where have i done the mistake? This was not coming earlier so i think something went wrong while doing the design changes.

Thanks,

Dyna Williams

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA parameters gets appended in URL

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
HI Dyna,

The linker param is used for cross domain. If you are using the linker plugin to automatically decorate links with the _ga param which is the GA client ID and a hashed timestamp.

If you do not need cross domain tracking (e.g. example.com traffic leads to a checkout on store.com) than you don't need the allow linker or the autolink params.

More on that here.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Bennett,

Thanks for your reply.

Mine is an e-commerce site where i need cross domain tracking so i need to keep that allow linker parameter. My concern here is, i have kept the same structure for my other e-commerce sites as well and all seems to be working fine apart from this one site.

I have checked my other site's cache pages and link from those pages does not contain any GA parameters in them despite of having same GA code implementation.

Do you think something else can be the reason? Please guide me with some solution for this.

Regards,
Dyna Williams

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Dyna,

It's typical to have your own site in the allow linker settings for auto
cross domain. If you are viewing the site from external cache (e.g.
Google), then you should expect to see the _ga param. You can customize
the code on your main domain to only have the autolink to the 3rd party
site and that should stop the behavior that you are seeing.

That said, it really does not matter and wont impact attribution.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn