Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA not consistently tracking events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I set up Google Analytics to track events the other day on the site http://dekalblibrary.org/

For the purposes of this question I'll only be focusing on the event tracking code that is on the carousel.

After setting it up, and testing it, I realized it only works some of the time. If I go to Real Time and look at the events, then click on the GA links many times, then once in a while it will register but most of the time it won't.

As an experiment to see if this was just an issue with the Real Time feature, I left the code alone for a day. Then I looked at the number of events under Behavior - Events. Here are the numbers I got (narrowed down to that one day only):

Event Label - # of events

Skillshare - 12

eBooks and other Downloadable Content - 10

Hispanic Heritage Month - 8

However, I also had some code I wrote to keep track of the number of clicks locally (and as a test to see if ga was working). And according to my counter I got 20, 15, and 10 hits respectively.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this code is only working some of the time? Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently read a support article about event tracking that mentioned tracking can be difficult in some situations where the interaction takes the visitor to another page... May be helpful: 

"Tracking outbound links and forms can be tricky because most browsers will stop executing JavaScript on the current page once a new page starts to load. One solution to this problem is to set the transport field to beacon.."

Ref: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I'll try that.

But even the links that don't go to a separate page aren't registering most of the time. I put GA event tracking on the tabs on the right in the "upcoming events" section (the "all", "adult" and "kids" tabs).

But whenever I click on them and look at the ga-Real Time screen, they do not seem to register except once in a while it does. The code clearly works, but only works every once in a while.