AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Google Analytics, The Real Time - Content pane will display the individual pages being viewed but the Behavior - Site Content panes only record them as / visits.

I currently have some unlinked, single static pages hosted on Google App Engine. My routing, setup in app.yaml, is such that example.com and example.com/ and example.com/index.html all route to the index.html in the 'static/' directory, while example.com/exampledir and example.com/exampledir/ and example.com/exampledir/index.html all route to the index.html file in the 'static/exampledir/' directory.

I have my GTM container snippet on each page (I've also tried to get it working with the regular GA code) and have published a GA tag to fire on all pages. When I visit a page, it shows up in the Content pane of the Real Time section specific to the page visited, so example.com shows up as / and example.com/exampledir/ shows up as exampledir/ - but when looking at historical data in the Behavior section, such as the All Pages pane, only / is listed, while the data seems to reflect an aggregate of all of the page views from the various pages.

it also lists individual referral spam links, so /?example-spam and /?other-example-spam will be listed as separate pages from /

I'm totally perplexed!

Does anyone have any solution ideas or see any potential issues that causing these symptoms?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi P U,

Do you have any active View filters that modify your page URLs?

Try to apply Google Tag Assistant Recordings [1] to get more information on what's going on in your case.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6280771?hl=en

Re: GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.
I had no view filters.
I seemed to have triggered something in my crazed toggling. It is now recording page views per page.
I added a default page, maybe that had an effect... maybe something else.

now I'm onto trouble filtering out referral spam... whomp whomp