Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Google Analytics, The Real Time - Content pane will display the individual pages being viewed but the Behavior - Site Content panes only record them as / visits.

I currently have some unlinked, single static pages hosted on Google App Engine. My routing, setup in app.yaml, is such that example.com and example.com/ and example.com/index.html all route to the index.html in the 'static/' directory, while example.com/exampledir and example.com/exampledir/ and example.com/exampledir/index.html all route to the index.html file in the 'static/exampledir/' directory.

I have my GTM container snippet on each page (I've also tried to get it working with the regular GA code) and have published a GA tag to fire on all pages. When I visit a page, it shows up in the Content pane of the Real Time section specific to the page visited, so example.com shows up as / and example.com/exampledir/ shows up as exampledir/ - but when looking at historical data in the Behavior section, such as the All Pages pane, only / is listed, while the data seems to reflect an aggregate of all of the page views from the various pages.

it also lists individual referral spam links, so /?example-spam and /?other-example-spam will be listed as separate pages from /

I'm totally perplexed!

Does anyone have any solution ideas or see any potential issues that causing these symptoms?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi P U,

Do you have any active View filters that modify your page URLs?

Try to apply Google Tag Assistant Recordings [1] to get more information on what's going on in your case.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6280771?hl=en

Re: GA is not recording the individual pages being visited

P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
P U
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.
I had no view filters.
I seemed to have triggered something in my crazed toggling. It is now recording page views per page.
I added a default page, maybe that had an effect... maybe something else.

now I'm onto trouble filtering out referral spam... whomp whomp