AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA Remarketing tag error message

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm setting up remarketing across 3 accounts - all are linked to GA and Adwords, and campaign detail is flowing into GA no problems for all 3. I've set up remarketing according to the instructions via GA and all 3 accounts in Adwords display this message - "We haven't detected the Google Analytics remarketing functionality on your website". Is this just a timing issue - it does mention 1-2 days for updates?

Many thanks

Sophie

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sophie W
November 2015

Re: GA Remarketing tag error message

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Sophie,

I think so too - it's only a matter of time. If you see some of the Analytics remarketing lists already populating in AdWords, everything will be fine.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sophie,

I recently had some issues with remarketing tags as well. I can tell you that it does take about 1-2 days to kick in.
But you mentioned you setup Remarketing through Google Analytics? Maybe you could give us more details on how you set it up?

In my case, I had my Google Analytics linked to Adwords a while ago and I set up Remarketing inside AdWords using the same GA tag I had installed for tracking (following instructions in the Adwords Shared Library). This worked for a while but it stopped last week and ceased to populate my remarketing lists. The reason is still unknown.

What I did next is install the Google AdWords Remarketing tag - under Shared Library > Target Audiences.
It is a specific tag for Remarketing purposes. Now my AdWords account shows Remarketing is working again.

If you see no progress anytime soon, you should consider following the same steps.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Carlos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos, thanks for the reply. I setup remarketing via GA by going into Admin | Property | Tracking Info | Data Collection and set both options to ON. I then went into Admin | Property | Remarketing | Audiences and from there started to create the lists. The lists appear in my Ad Words account and a few are starting to populate but the error message has been bothering me. I'm hoping it's just going to take a few days to sort itself out, otherwise I'll need to try the Adwords tag. I'd rather not have to do this as the site is managed by another developer and I don't want to ask for the tag to be installed across the site.
So fingers crossed it's just a timing issue. Many thanks, Sophie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello again Sophie,
Since you have access to the website's Google Analytics Property, and I'm guessing here that you already linked GA with AdWords, you may have another option.

You might be able to set up Remarketing from inside AdWords using the existing Google Analytics tag. This is precisely what I had done before and it was working up until recently. The reason why it stopped working for me is still unclear, but hopefully you will have better luck and in any case it's worth a try.

To do so, you need to log onto AdWords, select the account you're working with and then go to: Shared Library > Audiences > Website Visitors > Set Up Remarketing. There you'll find the option to use the Analytics tag for Remarketing purposes.

This following excerpt is from the Google AdWords support page:

"To use your Google Analytics tag instead of the AdWords remarketing tag, you’ll need to have the following:

1) Google Analytics tag on your website
2) Linked AdWords and Google Analytics accounts (when linking your accounts, you'll need administrative access to the AdWords account and edit access to the Google Analytics account)
3) Remarketing and advertising features enabled in Google Analytics"

From what I can gather, you already have steps 1 and 3 sorted. As for 2, you may have already done it, but if you haven't, it is relatively easy.

Here is the link for the support page with the full text:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476688?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Carlos
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sophie W
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Sophie,

I think so too - it's only a matter of time. If you see some of the Analytics remarketing lists already populating in AdWords, everything will be fine.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos, one of the accounts has now reported the 'Your Google Analytics tag is active' so I'm assuming at this point it is purely a timing issue and waiting a good 2 days for it to report correctly.
Thanks for advice.
Sophie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph, one account has reported 'Your Google Analytics tag is active' so very much seems like a timing issue at this moment. I'll wait for the other accounts to report similar and then close the query. Cheers Sophie