Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

GA-Events not from our Tag Manager

A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We appear to be receiving data on our Google Analytics for two events that we did not develop.  Neither the Tags, Triggers, or Event were developed or are recorded in our TagManager, on our site.

I've scoured the site in Developer tools, and ran the entire site in preview, and no record of these Tags, Triggers, or Events.  Yet in the past week, our Google Analytics (without the filters) showed hundreds of this mystery sales or support event.  (thankfully we have not named any of our events with those names.)

We have scoured the site, and have no reference, or trace.
Can someone else be sending their events data to our UA?

I have made filters, so I can view all data we are trying to gather, but there is more than one mystery event, that we can't remove, we can't find, we didn't develop, and I would like to find a way to correct this.  I also don't want to spend the future developing filters to prevent tracking events we didn't develop.

Any ideas?
Thank you

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author A C
June

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm going to guess your Google Analytics property ends in a 1 (i.e. UA-XXXXX-1).

If so, it's probably (ghost) referral spam. Create 2 new properties (ignore number 2, they get some spam as well) so the property ends in a 3 and 99% of it will disappear.

Otherwise, try setting a Tag Manager trigger that only fires your GA tags if the hostname is one of your valid hostnames (again, you'll probably need to increment you GA property so those events tags don't get recorded in your current account).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author A C
June

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm going to guess your Google Analytics property ends in a 1 (i.e. UA-XXXXX-1).

If so, it's probably (ghost) referral spam. Create 2 new properties (ignore number 2, they get some spam as well) so the property ends in a 3 and 99% of it will disappear.

Otherwise, try setting a Tag Manager trigger that only fires your GA tags if the hostname is one of your valid hostnames (again, you'll probably need to increment you GA property so those events tags don't get recorded in your current account).

Re: GA-Events not from our Tag Manager

A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!
I will start with this.

A

Re: GA-Events not from our Tag Manager

A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adam,
I just wanted to give a shout out and a thanks!
The secondary and tertiary property solution appears to be working like a dream!

Best
A