Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

From no domain to multiple subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have been using Google Analytics for 6 years for my subdomain http://es.mydomain.com. All the URLs tracked, therefore, are in the format /page. The es.mydomain.com part was not recorded.

I know how to create a filter in my main view to record the domain, so that URLs recorded in the Behaviour > Site Content > All pages are shown like es.mydomain.com/page.

The problem is that after 6 years of data I will have two different pages:

/page - with traffic up to today

es.mydomain.com/page - with traffic from now on

The reason for changing this is that I want to start recording new subdomains (and even the main domain itself) on the same property:

/page (problem: it's the same as the following row)

es.mydomain.com/page

mydomain.com/page

The question is: can I do what I want, without breaking the old URLs and the new ones?

Thank you very much.

Re: From no domain to multiple subdomains

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It will not break your old URLs or and it will not change your old URLs (data). Keep in mind, your old data will not change. Bear in mind that if you're starting to use Analytics filters to rewrite your URLs, you need to make sure that your goal settings reflect these changes. For instance, if you've configured any destination type goals, you may need to modify them or change the match type of them so that they continue to work.

I guess that's the filter that you mentioned: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

Hope this helps.
Taavi

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you say that it will not break my old URLs, does it mean that the following will not happen on the Site Content report?

/page = 1.000 visits
es.mydomain.com/page = 200 visits

Because I have tried and it's happening:

Capture.PNG

That's why I say that it's breaking the URLs... because they are counted as two different pages when they're the same.

Thanks!

From no domain to multiple subdomains

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You cannot change your old data that you already have.

Oh I see, do I understand correctly that you'd like to find a way to still have /page in your Site Content report if someone visits es.mydomain.com/page but if someone visits en.mydomain.com/page you would like to see it as en.mydomain.com/page in your report?

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, rather than keeping /page for people visiting es.mydomain.com/page I rather "move" all the history to es.mydomain.com/page so that the new "more acqurate" data doesn't start from now on.

If I ask myself "what is the most visited content on my website?" I wouldn't like to see:

#1: /page

#2: es.mydomain.com/page2

#3: es.mydomain.com/page

Pages #1 and #3 are both the same page but they appear as two different webpages.

My "top content" analysis would have to start from zero.

I dare there's no solution for this.

Thanks,