AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering users based on custom dimension from another GA account?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi internet!

I've been searching high and low for solutions to this seemingly simple issue, but I haven't found anything that explains how it could be addressed. Perhaps my GA implementation is completely wrong, or my understanding of GA is flawed... anyways, I hope some of you could give me some pointers on the following – 

This is an issue I bet is fairly common many people come across – how to differentiate existing customer traffic from non-customer traffic

I have two GA accounts (different GA codes) – one for my marketing site, and one for my web app. When a user visits my web app, I can set a custom dimension on that user. So far, so good. But how do create a segment based on that custom dimension in my marketing site account?

What I've looked into so far:

• Cross-domain linking seems to be an option, but that won't work if my customers are going to the marketing site first. The custom variable would not be set, and the visitor would not be counted as a customer. 
  • Setting a user ID could also be an option, but the user ID would be set by the web app – how can I make the ID accessible to the GA account for the marketing site? 

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.07.05 PM.png

I'd really appreciate any help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

Have you considered Google analytics plugin using Google Docs? you can pull reports from both account and merge using Google Docs like excel?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can use a query string to pass the id to the other site and set it there as a cd for the other property.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Short answer - it's not possible as it currently stands.

- Cross-domain tracking isn't an option as for that the same UA-ID has to be used across site and app.

- UserID isn't an option, either, for the same reason.

You need to track website and app under the same UA-ID in the tracking code, then do all due implementation (e.g. cross-domain tracking) in order to have a view of users across these two assets.  

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Arnold M's solution should work.