AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Feeling helpless:Urgent: help:GTM and userId tracking from datalayer variable

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I want to implement userid feature in GA using first party cookie:

Here is the step i Followed:

Ist approach:

Step 1:
GTM is enabled in my site.

setp-2:
I go to gtm and create a ist party cookie variable and names the cookie name as useID

step3:

in the more settings(field to set) in GTM i used fieldname as userid and set the value as the firstparty cookie which i creted in step 2.

step 4:
i go to properties in ga and enabled userid feature and created a new view for user id:

all is set up but no data is coming in reports

i followed lunamterics guide here:http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/08/13/user-id-measuring-real-users/

instead of setting datalayer variable i used first part cokkie.in the step 3 i have also used the value of first party cokkie instead of datalayer varible mentioned in the guide.

did i do anything wrong?

i have implemented it in my demo blog here:http://flavourofbengal.blogspot.in/

2nd approach:

Like the traditional way i have also implemented userid with datalayer varible here is the snapshot and i implemented it here:http://weeklyseonews.blogspot.in/2017/02/userid-implementation-with-datalayer.html

but still there is no data in reporting section in ga.

i have created a datalayer variable 'UserId' which i manually put a value 123456789 and sent it via a custom user scoped dimesion 1.In real case the value of 'UserId' will be of course dynamic.but for testing i insert it manually.

snap shot:

userid.JPG
but no reporting occurs.

i craetd it just now.

is my implementation wrong?

please help me in this case.

i have followed this guide:https://www.optimizesmart.com/cross-device-tracking-with-user-id-in-google-tag-manager/ here

Also in reporing real time no data is appering in userid view but in other view thata data is showing in real time

please help.

Thanks

Urgent: help:GTM and userId tracking from datalayer variable

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

any body there to help?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Soumik Ghosh

within GTM debug panel you can check if what particular value is sent within User ID field. Another place to look for possible errors is checking your UserID variable in the Variables tab of debug panel.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can see in the snapshot ,the userid value is already populated

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes I can see it in the dataLayer but it's woth checking if it's value is properly assigned to your GTM variable

Re: Feeling helpless:Urgent: help:GTM and userId tracking from datalayer variable

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

usd1.png

As I can see from logs You're passing undefined value within your GA tag. The reason may be naming mismatch or events order e.g. your "userIdSet" occurs after your GA tag is sent

Re: Feeling helpless:Urgent: help:GTM and userId tracking from datalayer variable

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is also there.Please check the snapshot below:

all is going well but the only thing is not coming the data in reporting.

does it need some time ?

only real time data,ga debugger does not showing data.

but the implementation is right.

what is lacking i don't understand

smo4.JPG

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

your tag firing order aslo can be a reason:
usd2.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

i have to use this userId instead UserId?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Please keep me posted i am going out today tomorrow i will be there with you.Please stay in touch.Please help buddy