AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Events sent with string as eventValue, any way to recover?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When first implementing my analytics, I was sending events with values as strings. Since I was getting status 200 when making the requests, I didn't realize it was incorrect. 

Now I know that event values have to be integers in order to be logged correctly, but I was wondering if there was any way to recover the events/data from my initial implementation?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Evan,

I don't think it is possible.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Good question - for the standard reports it must be an integer to allow calculation for the various reports which use event value. However, it may still be stored and therefore exposed in the API. Use a tool like GA debugger or dataslayer to see what is actually sent, and then - if you see that the string is sent - check to see if it is present in the API. If you're not familiar with the API you can use the query explorer: https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.