Analytics
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Event not tracking as goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have set up Google Tag Manager to track form submissions on my landing pages as events. This is working great and I can see the events in Analytics. They have these parameters:
  • Category: Submit
  • Action: Click
  • Label: URL of the form
  • Value: 0
You can see them in these screenshots:

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 19.10.25.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 19.04.01.png

However, when I try to set up Goals for these events I get this message:

"This Goal would have a 0% conversion rate based on your data from the past 7 days. Try a different setup."

I have set up goals for each URL. I cannot understand why the goal is not registering. You can see a goal set up in this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 19.02.43.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy!

Thanks.
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben W
July 2016

Re: Event not tracking as goal

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ben,

One other thing to note is that for your goal configuration, you have "Value" set to be "greater than 0", but in the parameters that you are sending in, you are specifying a value of exactly "0". If you don't use that field at all, then you should leave it blank. Also, it looks like your event label is configured to be "Equals to", but the screenshots show different values for the label. So either you use a Regex matching pattern for the label to capture all those different labels, or you can also leave the Event label field blank. GA event goals will take whatever matches and convert if the configured conditions are all met.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ben :-)

If the event data for the past 7 days is only a very small amount, then there may not be enough data for the verification to correctly work.

verification is only an indicator.

If you create the goal, test it and see if it registers as a goal in the GA real time reporting
keep in mind when testing, to make sure your own visits are not being blocked via a filter
and to clear your cookies each time before you retest unless you are sure your last session has ended,
as a goal will only fire once per session as a goal conversion.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben W
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ben,

One other thing to note is that for your goal configuration, you have "Value" set to be "greater than 0", but in the parameters that you are sending in, you are specifying a value of exactly "0". If you don't use that field at all, then you should leave it blank. Also, it looks like your event label is configured to be "Equals to", but the screenshots show different values for the label. So either you use a Regex matching pattern for the label to capture all those different labels, or you can also leave the Event label field blank. GA event goals will take whatever matches and convert if the configured conditions are all met.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nicky. I changed the value to "Equals to" and everything works. I feel like a dummy! You've saved my bacon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn. I've got the problem fixed now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I may have spoken too soon. When I look at the Real Time data feed it shows me conversions happening. However, when I look at Conversions>Goals>Overview it tells me there have been no Goal Conversions. I have waited an hour in case there was something caching and still nothing.

Any idea why this would be?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Ben, usually there is a gap of a few hours. Normal reporting latency is 24-48hrs.
You'll often get data on the same day, but its not guaranteed.
I'd check it again in a few hours or tomorrow

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn. It is now displaying correctly. I was just too impatient!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
<high fives Bronwyn and Ben>

Good work, team!

Ben, happy to save your bacon! Send me some when you get a chance. Smiley Happy

Nicky

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Happy to hear its now all working as expected.
Good catch @Nicky Y re the event value!!

Cheers

Bronwyn