AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Event not firing every time Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up a tag/trigger to track every click that's from a certain page to a web page containing certain characters.

Here's the trigger:

"Click URL contains alerts.weather.gov/products/NWS-IDP-PROD"

"Page URL contains weather.gov/point"

When looking at real-time tracking, this event fires irregularly, about 1 time every 4 times that it should.

Here's the page that I'm tracking: https://forecast-v3.weather.gov/point/42.4776,-76.4283

And there's links within a dropdown (click on area circled in red) that I'm trying to track...that have those common URL characters in the trigger.  For instance, here's one of the links: https://preview-alerts.weather.gov/products/NWS-IDP-PROD-2241465-2105699.  

I'm trying to track every click on those links.  Any help is greatly appreciated as to why there may be irregular firing of the trigger.

Capture.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noel K
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Noel K,

I'm not seeing any issues with your tag (given the limited information provided), and I can see the "pandc_click" event firing once for each of your two properties every time I click on a link. Although your method is correct, I would probably try to change it so that you look at the clicked class of of "hazard-link" instead relying on the click URL and page URL. It doesn't appear anywhere else other than for those specific links you've mentioned, so it would not be able to trigger other tags to fire. Using the class name helps the tag to continue tracking even if the page URL or click URL changes.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noel K
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Noel K,

I'm not seeing any issues with your tag (given the limited information provided), and I can see the "pandc_click" event firing once for each of your two properties every time I click on a link. Although your method is correct, I would probably try to change it so that you look at the clicked class of of "hazard-link" instead relying on the click URL and page URL. It doesn't appear anywhere else other than for those specific links you've mentioned, so it would not be able to trigger other tags to fire. Using the class name helps the tag to continue tracking even if the page URL or click URL changes.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nicky.  That did help.  The clicked class seems to be firing more (though not always).