2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Event Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to set up event tracking for items selected from a drop down list?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lindsay O
March 2016

Re: Event Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Lindsay O,

Yes, that's possible. You just need to set up the event tag and triggers. Give it a try and report back here if you have any problems. Sorry for not being more specific, but the question itself is quite generic. Google is your friend, too, so search around to see what may work for you!
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lindsay O
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Lindsay O,

Yes, that's possible. You just need to set up the event tag and triggers. Give it a try and report back here if you have any problems. Sorry for not being more specific, but the question itself is quite generic. Google is your friend, too, so search around to see what may work for you!
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
No need to apologize, you're right my question is pretty generic. I'll look into this more now that I know I'm not going down a rabbit hole. Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If your drop down list is a html <select> tag you can add onChange event handler to code like this:

<select onChange="ga('send','event','Category','Action',this.value)">

Replace 'Category' and 'Action' to whatever you want. As a label this code will send a value of a selected option on the list

If you use Analytics Classic code syntax use this code:

<select onChange="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Category', 'Action', this.value])">

This code will send event every time when user changes option.

Event Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nicky,

I've created an event tag and a trigger but I think something isn't working since nothing has been recorded in my GA to see the clicks to a form (not part of our domain).

Event Tracking

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi, Katra,

Are you able to provide more specific detail? Perhaps screenshots or code of your tag and trigger, and also screenshot of the page where these apply?