AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Ecommerce: add Item, Transaction or both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm implementing Enhanced Ecommerce with the Measurement Protocol. The Ecommerce report includes revenue but very little product information. 

My webshop is simple. I sell only one product, so Item and Transaction have full overlap.

Question: When I submit a payment hit with the Measurement Protocol to E.E., should I use Item, Transaction or both? The hit already features a &t=pageview parameter. Such hits do show up in Real Time and to some extent in my Ecommerce reports. But the reports are not complete.

The Measurement Protocol documentation [1] has a section named "Measuring Purchases" where there is no Quantity or SKU data, only &t=pageview and &pa=purchase. This is the Hit which I used as a starting point for my code. My code has to execute server-side since it is part of a PayPal IPN script.

However, when I look at the client side code documentation [2] the section "Measuring a Transaction" has both 'ec:addProduct' (with associated name and quantity) and 'ec:setAction', 'purchase'. 

When I look at my E.E. reports the user interface says "This report has been filtered to include only data where there are values for "Product" dimension."

Does this mean I'm missing some vital fields when I use the Measurement Protocol on the server side? Should the Hit example be expanded to include SKU and quantity information?

Thanks,

Borge

[1] https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/devguide

[2] https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Ecommerce: add Item, Transaction or both?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Borge,

when using the EE set up it is ideal to send all that you can including sku and name and whatever you can (data import can be used to widen this set of information so the payload may be decreased). As to why - EE tracks product performance throughout the site - clicks - impressions and more and so the information is then tied across the session scope.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

I don't really have an "Add to cart", it's basically right off to PayPal where people pay for one unit. I already have conversion goals on the clicks leading to PayPal, although they are not yet connected to Ecommerce. To date my only experience with EE is at the point when money changes hands, as reported by the PayPal IPN script.

In the section Ecommerce Tracking of [1] there is information on Transactions and Items, I just can't find the equivalent for EE. The documentation says "Important: Enhanced Ecommerce parameters must be sent with an existing hit (e.g. pageview, event), but cannot be sent with the Ecommerce transaction or item hit types."

The main problem is that product information doesn't seem to show up in the Ecommerce Report, only revenue. So I'm probably missing something. The pa variable (Product Action in [3]) lists alternatives different from "transaction" and "item".

Alternatively, for my simple transactions, should I just drop EE and use Ecommerse "transaction" and "item" entries? Will data from there be confused with data from EE?

Thanks,
Borge

[3] https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

the EE parameters are sent via an event or pageview hit so no item or transaction hit is needed.

You should not use both EE and classic ecommerce - choose one and use parameters as required - I would suggest, if using EE, using transaction data and product (name / sku at least).

On the other hand if you choose classic ecommerce hits you cannot use enhanced ecommerce features but if you do not plan to track the entire site journey with EE you can use classic.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I'd like to have it operational with EE in order to have something to expand on.

Do you see any bugs or missing parameters? This is the only hit I send once PayPal confirms the customer has sent money:

http://www.google-analytics.com/collect
?v=1
&t=pageview
&tid=UA-xxxxxxxx-y
&cid=2222222222.1111111111
&dh=www.domain.com
&dp=%2FPayPal_IPN
&ti=U%20D
&tr=199
&tt=0
&ts=0
&pa=purchase
&pr1id=P1
&pr1qt=1
&pr1nm=U%20D
&pr1ca=Electronics
&pr1br=A%20B
&cu=EUR

Best regards,

Borge

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

seems to be ok - in any case check this post where you have the entire example of the payload - http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/11/19/measurement-protocol-enhanced-ecommerce-form/

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Zorin!

All the best,
Borge

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
No problem. Let me know if it works - or notSmiley Happy

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The jury is still out... I've got indication that my reports shows either revenue or product. My code first followed the Measuring Purchases example without a &pr1qt=1 parameter. That got revenue into the report but no visible product. With &pr1qt=1 it looks like it tracks products but not the revenue.

I'll do some tests of this today using &pr1qt=1 on some properties but not on all. So in 24-48h I'll know if &pr1qt=1 does strange things to my reports. Obviously, I'd like to have both revenue and products shown.

Best regards,
Borge

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Add the pr1pr parameter as well.

Kind regards,
Zorin