Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Embarrassing: GTM & GA simultaneously on 1 site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a little awkward. Working with another agency, I requested GTM code (with GA tag) to be added to a site. That same tag was on the site already and they didn't remove it. This has now been fixed to ensure there is only one set of tracking code on the site but was only done 3 weeks after the initial implementation.

We have hunted high and low looking for answers out there to see if there is a way to amend this data as best we can. We know the bounce rate is broken and we cannot amend. But we would to do our best to average out data for our client. We cannot get it perfect, we know this but if anyone out there, has hd the same embarrassing incident happen I would really appreciate the input. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maggie M
December 2015

Re: Embarrassing: GTM & GA simultaneously on 1 site

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maggie,

As you've noted, there's no way to amend the historic data.
I would suggest two things that may help you:

1. Annotate the day that GTM tracking code was added and annotate the day that GA tracking was removed. A lot of people forget to do this and it ends up causing a hell of a lot of confusion somewhere down the line.

2. Create a Custom Segment to EXCLUDE sessions within the 3 week period you have specified. What this will enable you to do is see a more accurate behaviour metrics (bounce rate, pages/session, session duration etc) as this segment will exclude sessions that would otherwise skew the data. It's not perfect, as by applying this segment you will be underreporting on total sessions. This is something you would still have to work out manually.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maggie M
December 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maggie,

As you've noted, there's no way to amend the historic data.
I would suggest two things that may help you:

1. Annotate the day that GTM tracking code was added and annotate the day that GA tracking was removed. A lot of people forget to do this and it ends up causing a hell of a lot of confusion somewhere down the line.

2. Create a Custom Segment to EXCLUDE sessions within the 3 week period you have specified. What this will enable you to do is see a more accurate behaviour metrics (bounce rate, pages/session, session duration etc) as this segment will exclude sessions that would otherwise skew the data. It's not perfect, as by applying this segment you will be underreporting on total sessions. This is something you would still have to work out manually.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks very much for your input - really helped

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
No problem Maggie. Glad I could help.