Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Email Traffic not Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

In Google Analytics we are currently unable to see any traffic coming onto the site via email.  We are unsure what is causing this, but believe it may be due to an inaccurate code implementation, or no code implementation at all.  Is there code which we can place onto either the email or the website to get data flowing again?

Thank You!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Matt R,

In to track the acquisition from email campaigns, you need to have UTM parameters on the links in your email. If there parameters are not set properly or missing, Google Analytics can not identify the traffic source and it assigns 'direct' as acquisition method.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further explanation related to UTM parameters.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Thank you for the response!  If you wouldn't mind explaining these UTM Parameters that would be awesome.  I am only an intern at the company that is having the problem, and this is a whole new world to me, so any explanations or advice would be very beneficial. 

Thank You!