1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Email Tracking Help

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I know I can track email via UTM parameters and measurement protocol.But beside that can Google Analytics track email campaigns automatically?

I have heard this thing that GA can track email campaigns automatically.

Please explain.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Email Tracking Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Soumik,

Because the link in an email isn't located on a webpage/webserver there is no referral information given to a user that clicks on a link in an email. Therefore that user is counted in Analytics as direct, i.e. with missing or emtly referrer. No web-analytics tool can guess where such a user is coming from unless you add URL parameters (like UTM) or use specific landing pages only reached by your email users. There is no automatic in this regard.

Christoph

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
There is some default channel grouping in GA in which email is also an option.So if some one can come from email the traffic is attributed as email.

Is that so?
Link:https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Soumik,

Default channel groupings are defined in a way that they recognize a source equalling 'email' as belonging to the email channel. However, to have that source=email you have to explicitly set it by the UTM-Source parameter in the links in your emails.

Christoph

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I have often saw that some accounts get attributed email but they have not used UTM parameters.I think to do more precisely UTM or measurement protocol is required.

What do you think?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Give us an example of email attribution without UTM - to my knowledge it shouldn't be possible.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Check the screenshot.For privacy reason I cannot disclose the account id:Capture.PNG

By the way Thanks for your time for me

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,
You there?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Check 'campaign', 'source/medium' and 'landing page' as secondary dimension for 'Email' channel