AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Eliminating double pageview on AJAX site

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I work on an ecommerce site built on AJAX. Site is built the way that every page on it has its own "virtual page name" including first (landing) page. The result is that when you land on the first page two pageviews are being sent to GA - mydomain.com/form and mydomain.com/form/step1 (step1 being virtual page).

This way I have a artificially deflated bounce rate being as low as 8-10%.

Do you have an idea what to do to get real bounce rate? Removing virtual pages (or even from first page) is unfortunately out of question.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olgierd N
June 2016

Re: Eliminating double pageview on AJAX site

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Go to Advanced parameters for your tags then go to *Fields to Set* and in the field name, start typing "non" and you'll see nonInteractive show up. Select it and choose true as a value.
Save you tag, publish your container and BAM! Enjoy :-)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

for one, you could make that virtual pageview non-interactive, like so:

ga('send','pageview',{'nonInteraction':true});
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Can't be done.

A virtual page view needs to be removed.

You could do this dynamically on the site and have an if statement that if the first piece of code executed don't execute the 2nd.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
see my comment above, flagging the virtual pv as noninteractive solves the issue.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hey Julien,

if the virtual pageviews are already being sent with different URIs, making them non-interaction hits might solve the bounce rate issue, but create other problems as well, right? Shouldn't Google be registering a pageview to a different URI, if the virtual pageviews are correctly set up? Making it a noninteraction hit would affect the exit pages and other reports, right?

@Andrezj, if you've set up the tracker as per the developer tools article for single page applications, you shouldn't be facing this issue. It sounds like this might be happening: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/single-page-applications#ha... , is it?

Cheers,
Arjun

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Arjun R that's the whole point and virtual pageviews should not (in my opinion) be used in that scenario.

The main issue there is to isolate the bounce rate problem and non-interaction works great.

If you want to work your reports by including virtual page views, by all means, go crazy :-)

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Thanks for that - I have one last question here.

If we use non interaction hits for the virtual pageviews (for screens we want to see data for as actual pageviews), would it still give the required bounce rate data(like normal pages) for those screens?

Or would this basically give the correct bounce rate data for all pages, but not include any of the screens?

Best,
Arjun

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for your solution but there is one problem with setting virtual pageview as Non-Interactive because I have Universal Analytics implemented through Google Tag Manager. How can I make this particular virtual page view non-interactive?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olgierd N
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Go to Advanced parameters for your tags then go to *Fields to Set* and in the field name, start typing "non" and you'll see nonInteractive show up. Select it and choose true as a value.
Save you tag, publish your container and BAM! Enjoy :-)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Smiley Happy. I only need to figure out how to do it for particular virtual page especially that it's SPA.