Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate tracking code

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the same tracking code for 2 websites (this is a mistake)

I have removed the code for the one website. However I am still seeing the web pages in google analytics.

How long will this take to clear? 

or how can i remove it?

Re: Duplicate tracking code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can I exclude certain pages from google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Have you looked under content to see which pages are getting traffic, and then verified that the code is really off those pages? Seems simple but I have done that type of thing before and found it didn't save.

If you want to exclude certain pages from GA, then I would not put the code on those pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have removed the code from the other sites/pages. However they are still
showing in analytics. How long will it take to stop showing the pages?

Cheers
Steve

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I was asking, Steve. Are you sure the code is removed from those pages? How many pages is it showing on? Does your server cache your files and maybe it will just take a few days?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I only took them off yesterday. I completely deleted the whole code. As the
sites aren't using analytics at the moment anyhow.

So you recon the pages with simply stop showing up soon. Or is there
anything else I need to do??

Cheers
Steve

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just a note that I don't work here Smiley Happy I'm waiting for my own question to be answered.

You posted yesterday that you were still seeing the pages in GA. But you removed the code yesterday. Do you think you simply saw the pages because people had hit them when the code was still on the page?

When you only look at today's data, do you still see them? If so, I would look under 'Behavior - Site Content - All Pages' and view which pages they are and double check the code is removed?

Other than that, I know hosting services like GoDaddy keep a cache of the page and it can take a few days for people to stop seeing the old stuff unless you flush the cache.

Good luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cheers for your suggestions.

I still see them. I will however try to clear the cache.

Thanks again. Will let you know if it works.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Just mention that you cannot remove old data from the existing Google Analytics property/view that is already there. If you have completely removed the particular JavaScript code from one of the websites, this website might not show up in your reports anymore.

You can use Google Developer Tools, in order to make sure that hits are not being sent to your Google Analytics property from that particular website.

1) You can open Google Developer Tools: (Mac -> alt+cmd+J or Windows -> Ctrl+Shift+J).
2) Open the Network tab
3) Refresh your page (website)
4) Add filter: "collect"
5) Check out which pageviews and events were sent to Google Analytics
6) If you can find any pageviews or events with the old property ID (UA code), you still have an old Google Analytics tracking code installed on the website.

Here's the quick overview: http://prntscr.com/bx1f7e

Another way how to figure it out:
1) Open your website and go to the particular page.
2) Check the "Real-Time" reports in Google Analytics and move from one page to another. If you still see yourself then you still have Google Analytics code implemented on your website.

If you have built a website using WordPress, just make sure that you haven't installed any plugins that still screw up your data.

It was just a short overview. Hope that it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The pages are still showing up as marked in red. However there has been a drop off as circled in red which means the pages are not being used as data.

Ideas of how to clear the outside pages?

Cheers