AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Downloading a file in Internet Explorer Attaches GA Query String to Download

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are using universal analytics on our site and on one page where the tracking code is not set up, there is a link to an .exe that is hosted on a different server.  When some clients using Internet Explorer download this link, the link appears as something like: 

https://otherwebsite.com/filename.exe?_ga=1.129049995.682666321.1441309023

instead of: 

https://otherwebsite.com/filename.exe

and this is causing confusion when they download the file as the file gets downloaded as :

filename.exe?_ga=1.129049995.682666321.1441309023 so they cannot run it unless they know to remove the string at the end.  This seems to only be happening to some clients on IE, not all and I cannot figure out why. Any ideas?  I'm not a GA expert by any means, I've just been tasked with figuring this out.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan K
April 2016

Re: Downloading a file in Internet Explorer Attaches GA Query String to Download

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You can turn off the auto linking and manually add the linker parameter only to the links where its required
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker#manually_adding_link...
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Re: Downloading a file in Internet Explorer Attaches GA Query String to Download

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess you implemented cross-domain tracking so it's a normal situation. Sadly some browsers are unable to process the removal of the string. To this day I didn't manage to find a solution, maybe another expert will provide one ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Are you able to give a link to the page in question so as to allow one of us to look at the page's source code via browser?
Without looking at it. from the sounds of it, cross domain tracking might be configured which is appending the linker parameter
to the download url
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, yes we have cross domain tracking implemented which we need.  I can't supply the page in question because it's inside our app and you need a log in unfortunately.  Is there a way to turn off cross domain tracking just for a specific link?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan K
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You can turn off the auto linking and manually add the linker parameter only to the links where its required
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker#manually_adding_link...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, that's probably the solution I would try next but I was able to get around it by just zipping the file instead.  Now the query string no longer appears when downloaded in IE

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Ryan :-)
Thanks for posting back with that info, most useful to know!

Cheers
Bronwyn