AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Do I need to split my GTM codes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have just noticed that in order to implement Google Tag Manager codes on a new property, I need to paste it in two different places - it is split to javascript and <noscript> tags.

My question is, do I need to adjust my codes on all other websites where I have already codes implemented as one? Will it work better / faster? 

Regards,

Marta

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marta B
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marta,

The recommendation has changed for the container snippet placement.

https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/quickstart

For asynchronously loading libraries the head tag is a better place, the library starts loading earlier in the page load sequence that results in improved tracking accuracy. The noscript tags belong to the body, that's why the code is split.

This is just a recommendation, it is up to you if you want to follow it. The old implementation (the entire code placed after the opening body tag) will still work fine. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marta B
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marta,

The recommendation has changed for the container snippet placement.

https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/quickstart

For asynchronously loading libraries the head tag is a better place, the library starts loading earlier in the page load sequence that results in improved tracking accuracy. The noscript tags belong to the body, that's why the code is split.

This is just a recommendation, it is up to you if you want to follow it. The old implementation (the entire code placed after the opening body tag) will still work fine. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital