Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Do I need to set up a Goal/Funnel for this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to set up a goal (funnel?) to see how much traffic originates at our other domain (mystardoctor.com), which then FORWARDS traffic to our main domain (starplasticsurgery.net).

Can someone please tell me how to set this up and implement? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You don't need to create a goal, what you would need to do is use the acquisition referral reports and search for mystardoctor.com as a referral.

Thanks,

A

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Star P,

Well you have a bit of a dilemma here and if users were served a page first then @Adam M would be correct and you could look at referring traffic.  (That said, you should use cross domain tracking if that were the case and then look at landing pages.) 

Since you have a server side redirect, you will have to have your web folks actually parse the server logs to try to figure that out. While they are at it you should ask them to look at the redirect, it looks like it 302's and then 301's which is not ideal -- it should be a straight 301 re-direct.

If you want to make this easier in the future, you could also ask them to pass some sort of URL paramater so that you can see it in your landing pages report.  e.g. ?origin=mystardoctor.  Be wary of using utm params as that could overwrite anything out there that -- hopefully -- your web folks are already passing.   Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn