Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Deadline to migrate to Universal Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I have encountered a property which is still using the legacy Analytics code. The migration to Universal Analytics has occurred at the interface level although the old tracking libraries are still in use. This message was apparently on one of the help pages a few months ago: Non-Universal Analytics libraries, including ga.js or v1.x of the mobile SDKs, will soon be deprecated and may stop working in the futurehttps://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/upgrade/#important-considerations

But I can't seem to find a clear message about the legacy libraries being deprecated. Anyone could tell me if there is a real deadline to move to the new Universal Analytics libraries?

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Deadline to migrate to Universal Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jon :-)
I'm not able to find the original references as the documentation has since changed
Hopefully the following thread will be helpful
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ua-upgrade/vSRh-qgt4mY

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
FWIW the original urchin.js code from 2006 is still very much alive and allows super basic data collection.
However, earlier versions of the tracking code (urchin.js, ga.js) are no longer supported/maintained.
The migration message is to encourage users to use the same data collection resources and allow them to use all the features in latest versions.
Long story short, always use the latest version of the tracking code. Using Google Tag Manager is a great way to keep up with tag versions with minimal code changes.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

Thank you so much, Bronwyn and Julien.

My case is with a dc.js code. So I will assume that there is no actual deadline to keep using these libraries?
It's just so I can make my head around a gradual migration.

Thanks again!