Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom dimensions with GTM

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

We currently have Google Analytics with some custom dimensions set up. At some point soon, we will be implementing Google Tag Manager and using that to deploy Google Analytics as well as other programs we might want to use on our website. 

Once we implement GTM, will the custom dimensions carry through or will we need to set them up again? If we need to set them up again, will the historical data still be visible?

As a note, I'm a marketing analyst, not an IT programmer, so I'd appreciate your help in non-programmy language. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Custom dimensions with GTM

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You don't need to change anything in Google Analytics and moving to GTM will not affect your historical data.

You will need to make changes on your site, instead of setting the value of a cd you need to create a data layer containing your custom dimension data. You will also need to create datalayer variables in GTM and set them in your pageview tracking tag. Please check the document below about using custom dimensions with GTM, scroll down to the Using the Data Layer section to see the implementation details. I would suggest to set up a test property for the implementation and switch to the live property once everything works.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital