Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom dimension session scope and goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Im setting up custom dimension on a site that has products from different brands. Each brand have multiple pages on the site, so i have brand: 'brandname' in datalayer, and then a custom dimension in GA with session scope that tracks the brand. We use the same Goals in GA for all the brands.

I have a custom report in GA with segment on the custom dimension 'Brand', and Goals in the metrics.

Wondering how this wisit would be reportet in GA:

1. Visits a page with Custom Dimension=A

2. Submits the form on page with CD=A

3. Visits page with CD=B

4. Leaves the site.

Would Custom Dimension  A or B get that goal?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Daniel S,

Session scope custom dimensions get the "last assigned" value. This means that your custom dimension will get the value 'B' in your Google Analytics reports based on your example.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! That was what if was thinking, but not hoping for... Any idea how else to set this up?

The only thing i can come up with now is setting different Goals for different brands, but that would be to much Goals. Could just report on Events to, but then i miss a lot of the possibilities with Goals. Any way to do this with Goals? The brand name is in the Goal completion URL, so i can just filter on URL on "Goal Completion URLs", but i dont find any way do do that in custom reports, or with advanced segments.