Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom dimension and event value don't work together in reporting API in GA 360 accounts

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We use GA reporting API to query a custom dimension and event value (together with some other dimensions) in our data processing pipeline. We don't set event value in the JavaScript event API, so all events have default value 0.(Some clients have event values, so our data pipeline needs to query the event value metrics even though the values are 0s)

The API is no longer working. The query returns 0 rows, instead of a list of dimensions with event value as 0s.

It seems this happens in GA premium (360) accounts only. The query for the custom dimension and event value still works fine in other regular standard accounts. Neither user-scope nor hit-scope custom dimension works in these accounts.

I can reproduce the issue with the premium accounts in the GA query explorer using the ga:eventValue as metrics, and a custom dimension as dimension. I can also reproduce the issue with flat table in GA custom report with these two columns. Other standard accounts work fine.

However, in the standard event report in Google analytics portal for these accounts, I can add the custom dimension as second dimension and have no issue.

Can someone check on this issue? Could this be a bug in the google Analytics premium data processing?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom dimension and event value don't work together in reporting API in GA 360 accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

I have tried to reproduce the issue and I can confirm it. If you have access to GACP forum or GA360 support you should ask for support there to determine if this behaviour is expected or not. A temp 'solution' would be to add an additional metric which would return the CD values regardless of the event value being set or not. (I believe this should be the expected result for both standard and 360 accounts - if I find anything Ill add to the post)

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Custom dimension and event value don't work together in reporting API in GA 360 accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for reproducing the issue and confirming on this.

Yes, if I use other metrics, e.g. ga:totalEvent, or add another metrics, it works. I did post the issue on the GA 360 forum and linked to this post.

Hopefully someone in the GA team can fix this issue soon.