Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom campaign tracking across domains...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm considering implementing GA on a site that's meant to advertise an event. However, registrations for the event would take place on a different web property.

Currently, the event site and registration portal are the same web property, but I'd like to separate the two.

For example, a user would wind up on my event site, click a "Register Now" button, and then be taken to a registration portal that's separate of the actual event site. 

I do a lot of email based campaign tracking which allows me to see revenue generated from each email, and I'd like to know if it's possible to track a user from their initial email click, to the event site, and ultimately to the registration portal. 

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom campaign tracking across domains...

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

1 - You should keep both domains in the same GA web property

2 - If they are two distinct domains (event.com and portal.com), then you'll have to implement cross-domain tracking; but if they both belong to the same root domain (event.com and portal.event.com), then you only need to set domain to auto in the code.

3 - Update Referral Exclusion List accordingly.

Doc on cross-domain tracking below.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cross-domain

Once the above is in place, you can campaign track email activity with utm parameters. You should achieve what you want.

But note both domains must use the same UA-ID.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

What do you think would be the easiest way to test the cross-domain tracking functionality once I've made the changes to the GA code?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
The article below will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/

If you still need help, just shout. Happy to assist.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is great information, thank you! If I set-up my cross domain tracking with the same UA-ID and then add the secondary domain as a referral exclusion. That will eliminate my ability to create a new view with only data from the secondary domain, right? So I can't track a campaign across multiple domains AND set-up different views for each domain? 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

You can.

Aggregate View - For all domains cross-domain tracking is implemented.

Site A View - Implement an include filter with site A hostname as a value.

Site B View - Implement an include filter with site B hostname as a value.

This way you can analyse all sites in conjunction as well as individual sites. It's the best approach.