AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Variables not firing and showing 0 unique page views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have a variable hard coded onto my web journey which I am using a custom variable to be able to filter this on Google Analytics.

On the website using the GA debug I can see the variable appear (below) but it doesn't appear in my GA account.

_gaq.push processing "_setCustomVar" for args: "[5,Package,Telematics,3]": 

Unusually the variable works on the first page of the journey but then doesn't continue throughout the journey. But where it does appear in GA we only have pageviews rather than uniques? So for February I have 240 pageviews but 0 unique pageviews, and customers can only see this page once.

Any help you can give for this would be greatly appreciated, I'm happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Custom Variables not firing and showing 0 unique page views

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Your code is for classic analytics, if you are using Universal Analytics, you need to use a different syntax:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets

If you can post your site URL, we can look into it for you and we'll be able to give you more specific suggestions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital