AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimensions and PII

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

In my company's effort to understand customer behavior, we want to pass the following as Custom Dimensions:

• User-ID: unique identifier (int) corresponding to the username in our db. We also pass this as our User-ID setting in GA.
  • Customer No.: Random int that identifies customers in our ERP/CRM system
  • Customer Class: three char code that identifies the customer class in our ERP/CRM system (e.g. G51, GEN, TW2)
  • Primary Branch: our company's branch that will serve the customer based on their location, as we have many locations (e.g. SEA, BET, BON, STL). These chars represent how we identify our own locations internally in our ERP/CRM systems.

My main question is, are any of those considered PII, and therefore would be violating privacy guidelines?

Thank you,

Mo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo B
May 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Nope. Crucially, none of what you describe is human readable, and your primary branch label is too broad to identify individuals i.e. it's not a house address, for example. You still may need to inform your visitors what you are tracking, via a policy statement on your site, but that's a matter for your legal team.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo B
May 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Nope. Crucially, none of what you describe is human readable, and your primary branch label is too broad to identify individuals i.e. it's not a house address, for example. You still may need to inform your visitors what you are tracking, via a policy statement on your site, but that's a matter for your legal team.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.