AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimensions Not Working Properly Please Help!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Experts,

I have been trying to capture customer E-mailID, First Name & Last Name using Universal analytics, Tag manager & Data layer..

So far I'm able to push the data to the data layer but i'm not getting correct information in google analytics.

Suppose if I received 30 registrations on my site analytics custom variables are showing up information about 8 only89.png 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Dimensions Not Working Properly Please Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gaurav S :-)

You cant track/send PII (Personally Identifiable Information) with Google Analytics. Doing so goes against the TOS regarding Privacy, and can get your account banned.

https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html
7. Privacy.

You will not (and will not allow any third party to) use the Service to track, collect or upload any data that personally identifies an individual (such as a name, email address or billing information), or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by Google. You will have and abide by an appropriate Privacy Policy and will comply with all applicable laws, policies, and regulations relating to the collection of information from Visitors. You must post a Privacy Policy and that Privacy Policy must provide notice of Your use of cookies that are used to collect data. You must disclose the use of Google Analytics, and how it collects and processes data. This can be done by displaying a prominent link to the site “How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps”, (located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL Google may provide from time to time). You will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that a Visitor is provided with clear and comprehensive information about, and consents to, the storing and accessing of cookies or other information on the Visitor’s device where such activity occurs in connection with the Service and where providing such information and obtaining such consent is required by law.

You must not circumvent any privacy features (e.g., an opt-out) that are part of the Service.

You may participate in an integrated version of Google Analytics and certain DoubleClick and Google advertising services ("Google Analytics Advertising Features"). If You use Google Analytics Advertising Features, You will adhere to the Google Analytics Advertising Features policy (available at support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=2611283&answer=2700409) Your access to and use of any DoubleClick or Google advertising service is subject to the applicable terms between You and Google regarding that service.

For help with GTM related questions, best place to ask is the GTM Help Forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/tag-manager

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Bronwyn,

Just a quick question. I'm just capturing emails from my registration not all the visits, just wanted to confirm it is illegal as well?

Thanks,
Gaurav

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you have email addresses of say staff on your website for ppl to click and email.. and you have google record the clicks and it captures which email addy was clicked, I doubt that is going to be an issue. In this instance you are not capturing personal visitor data

You can have users fill out forms etc and include personal data in the forms and such. That would be a pretty standard and universal thing to do

BUT if you are having site visitors fill out forms etc that include personal data and you are using google to capture and/or report that information eg an email address as a Custom Dimension.. or an email address gets added as a parameter to urls so its visible in the pageview report
- then Google are not going to be happy

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here