Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension appears fully set up in debugger but appears as not set on Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In an internal software I've developed for a company where they have the need to follow user session in details I've done a double implementation of userID: one as analytics teach in userID field, the other one as one custom dimension.
I've tried changin CD name, I've used analytics debugger extension to go in detail, I've tried different code to add CD but also if it appears as setted in the debugger I always find it not set on the interface.

Last implementation is this one:

var customUserId = "1";
ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-1', {'userId': customUserId});
ga('require', 'displayfeatures');
ga('set', 'dimension1', customUserId);
ga('send', 'pageview');

What could be my fault?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Custom Dimension appears fully set up in debugger but appears as not set on Analytics

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Andrea,

Do you have a USER ID view set up and are you seeing sessions there?

Also make sure that you are sending a string?  Have you created the custom dimension in the GA interface?

Hope that helps..

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer Theo!

Yes, I have the UserID view setted up and can see UserID, so that part seems working to me.

I'm sending numbers on my CD, the same number I send as UserID

I've created the CD in the GA interface.

Any other hint?

Thanks!!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Andrea,

So numbers but as a string, which I assume is true with your sample code.. hmmm.  Is the Custom Dimensions set to session, user or hit?    How are you trying to view the Custom Dimension?  If it's a hit level CD and you are trying to look at session based data, that could be a problem.

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn