AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension Values Missing From Custom Report

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I created a custom dimension that is sent when a form is submitted; here is the code I am using (taken from the "Creating a Opt Out Page" section of this LunaMetrics blog post):

<form action="#" onsubmit="ga('send', 'pageview',{'dimension1': 'employee-' + getElementById('employeename').value});alert('You are now opted out! Thanks for your help, '+getElementById('employeename').value+'!');return false;">
        <p>
            <label for="employeename">My Real Name Is:</label>
            <input type="text" name="employeename" value="Super Hero" id="employeename">
            <input style="height: 45px;width: 100px;border-radius: 10px;font-weight: bold;margin-left:10px;" type="submit" value="OPT OUT &rarr;">
        </p>
    </form>

I then tested filling out the form a couple times, and then created a custom GA report that looks like this:

As can be seen, my custom report shows 2 sessions in the chart portion of the report, but no data in the table below! No sessions or dimension values.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Is it a problem with the way I built my custom report? Why would it show 2 sessions but no data below?

Thanks very much!! Smiley Very Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Drew C
March 2016

Re: Custom Dimension Values Missing From Custom Report

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, I think it might have been the GA Opt Out extension getting in the way (haha). I am pretty sure I tested in an incognito window—though I don't know if that actually removes extensions...

Anyway, I properly disabled it and did another test this morning and the data came in!

Thanks for tracking with me on this! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Your code seems to be fine. If you have just set up the custom dimension it may take a few hours for the data to start appear in GA. Remember, you are not allowed to track personally identifiable information (PII) such as usernames, make sure you're sending only IDs which are known only to you.
See section 7.: http://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the reply Arnold!

I tested the form yesterday (maybe 14 hours now) and still no data. I would definitely expect it to arrive by now.

Something must be missing...

And thanks for your reminder about PII!!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Drew C
March 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, I think it might have been the GA Opt Out extension getting in the way (haha). I am pretty sure I tested in an incognito window—though I don't know if that actually removes extensions...

Anyway, I properly disabled it and did another test this morning and the data came in!

Thanks for tracking with me on this! Smiley Happy