Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross domain tracking using a rollup property

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've asked the same question at the Google Tag Manager forum, but I guess the problem is too difficult for them. My question is about cross domain tracking using a rollup property.

I want to keep the old/ current UA ID of all the existing sites. Therefor I want to add a second property ID (rollup property). Can I implement cross domain tracking using the following method (http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/06/16/cross-domain-tracking-with-google-tag-manager/)?

So I create an "Auto Link Domains" variable with the value a.com and b.com. Each website has it's own container or even account.

- I set Google Analytics tags for UA ID 1 and UA ID 2 (rollup property). In the tag for UA ID 2, I set Auto Link Domains with the above created variable and set a field with allowLinker with the value true

I set Google Analytics tags for UA ID 3 and UA ID 2 (rollup property), In the tag for UA ID 2, I set Auto Link Domains with the above created variable and set a field with allowLinker with the value true

- I set Google Analytics tags for UA ID 4 and UA ID 2 (rollup property). In the tag for UA ID 2,  I set Auto Link Domains with the above created variable and set a field with allowLinker with the value true

Under GA settings of UA ID 2 I update the Referral Exclusion List and add a filter to prepend hostnames.

Will this work since the guide of Lunametrics doesn't explain this how you would this with a rollup property and is there anything else that I need to do?

Kind regards,

Lifan Shiu

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Lifan S,

Since you are going to have 2 trackers on your website, please be sure that you are using a named tracker for one of them.

Regards

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Güney,

So basically what I'm describing would work? In the meantime I've also read a blogpost from Simo: https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/cross-domain-tracking-with-multiple-ga-trackers/. If I rename the cookie name of the rollup property that would also be sufficient? So no need to rename the tracker when using GTM and renaming the rollup cookie, correct?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Lifan S,

No cookie name only is not enough. Simo's explanation is very good and although he does not emphasize it in his article, he is using it in his sample code as follows:

// Rollup GA tracker
ga('create', 'UA-12345-2', {name: 'rollup', cookieName: '_rollupGa', allowLinker: true});

This is the second tracker which is a named tracker(He named it as 'rollup' but you can user something else). You can also use a named tracker in GTM as well. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Güney,

Thanks, so the rest of what I'm suggesting is the way do cross domain tracking using an extra rollup property?

Kind regards,

Lifan Shiu