AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain tracking Help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

My question is if we want to track cross domain tracking for two domains like abc.com and xyz.com

What i have to do in case of GTM?

Do i have to put the same GTM  container code to abc.com and xyz.com and then do the additional configuration in the GTM account ?

Suppose if two domains abc.com and xyz.com have their separate analytics and GTM account,what to do in that case?

Please help.I am a bit confused.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can use different GTM containers, but you have to use the same GA property on both domains for cross domain tracking.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.If i use different container what will be the steps in case of each container which hold each domain?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hello arnold u there?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You just need to configure the Google Analytics tags in each container for cross domain tracking - same UA-ID, allow linker, auto link domains.

Also don't forget to add the domains to the referral exclusion list.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

Basically cross domain conversion means measuring one or more domains with one GA UAID.Am i right?

If i use two container x and y then in x, I have to add y.com as auto  link domain and in y container i have to add x.com as auto link domain.

and if i use only one container for two domain x,y i have to add x.com and y.com both in auto link domain.Am i right?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I had followed this article some time back. This might be helpful.

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/06/16/cross-domain-tracking-with-google-tag-manager/

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In addition to the luna metrics article, this one also helped me 

https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/