4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

We recently implemented the cross-domain tracking code snippet and although we now see google / organic as a transaction source, we are still seeing oursite.com / referral

as the main purchase source. The code was implemented on Sept the 23rd, 4 days ago. 

We are wondering how to understand/interpret this overlap and its possible causes...

• Does it take a few days before the code takes effect?
  • Does this mean that only part of the job is done?
    • The Exclude Referrals already has both domains
  • Could it be a cookie thing?

Any suggestion or comment is highly appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricardo P
September 2016

Cross Domain Tracking

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

For the date range after cross-domain was implemented, that is 24th on, when you isolate oursite.com / referral, is the traffic made up of new or returning users? If the latter, then it might well mean users who were first/last allocated to oursite.com / referral are returning to your site directly, and since the traffic attribution model in GA is last non direct source, they are still allocated to oursite.com / referral. Over time this traffic should disappear.

Let me know if that helps. Else you may have a cross-domain implementation issue. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricardo P
September 2016

Cross Domain Tracking

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

For the date range after cross-domain was implemented, that is 24th on, when you isolate oursite.com / referral, is the traffic made up of new or returning users? If the latter, then it might well mean users who were first/last allocated to oursite.com / referral are returning to your site directly, and since the traffic attribution model in GA is last non direct source, they are still allocated to oursite.com / referral. Over time this traffic should disappear.

Let me know if that helps. Else you may have a cross-domain implementation issue. 

Re: Cross Domain Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot for your guidance R.

79% of all those transactions were done by returning users. Given your explanation, I am therefore inclined to think that cross-domain tracking is correctly implemented and that over time the source will be correctly attributed.

Expanding on your comments I have a couple of questions...

Users who were first/last allocated to oursite.com / referral: In the allocation context you mention, is first and last referring to the timings of the purchase, or to what exactly? 

since the traffic attribution model in GA is last non direct source, they are still allocated to oursite.com / referral. Over time this traffic should disappear

If they are originally allocated to oursite.com / referral how will they make the transition to the actual purchase source over time? Does it have to do with cookies or can this be quickly done by implementing the User ID code?  

Cross Domain Tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One thing to check is the set up in "Referral Exclusion List" under Property -> Tracking Info -> Referral Exclusion List. You should see oursite.com in the list. If not, oursite.com will be attributed as "referral".

Cross Domain Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Raymond!