Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking Working for Some Channels

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I need help urgently!!!

I have 2 clients requiring cross domain tracking.

1. Client 1

- set up cross domain tracking code on both domains

- e-com tracking enabled

- tested this in real-time reports and could see everything working.

- I am seeing revenue in the account and goal completions

- this is ONLY working if the Channel is Direct or Referral. It hows no ecomm/conversion data for Organic, Social, Email etc.

2. Client 2

- set up cross domain tracking code on both domains

- tested this in real-time reports and could see everything working.

- I am seeing goal completions

- this is ONLY working if the Channel is Direct or Referral. It shows no conversion data for Organic, AdWords, Social, Email etc.

How can this be? I followed the instructions here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en&ref_topic=2772342

Re: Cross Domain Tracking Working for Some Channels

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I should add.....

The cross domains (2 separate domains) are using the same tracking ID.

I've been in contact with a Google support person. I was told that the reason this was occurring was because I added in the domains under the Referral Exclusion list; I thought that this was a required step.

Perhaps you only use the Referral Exclusion when the domains aren't using the same tracking ID??

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
UPDATE: I have done as instructed and removed the main domain from the Referral Exclusion list. after nearly six hours I've no conversion data in other channels (other than Direct/Referral) and now I have self-referrals.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
OK - now Google support says I was right to have the domains listed in the referral exclusion list! So now they say the problem (with one of the sites) is

"Cookie gets refreshed during the redirect. > Cannot see data in GA under current View."

This doesn't make sense to me, as I am not well versed in cookie behavior. The thing is this is happening in two different accounts.