AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking Working for Some Channels

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I need help urgently!!!

I have 2 clients requiring cross domain tracking.

1. Client 1

- set up cross domain tracking code on both domains

- e-com tracking enabled

- tested this in real-time reports and could see everything working.

- I am seeing revenue in the account and goal completions

- this is ONLY working if the Channel is Direct or Referral. It hows no ecomm/conversion data for Organic, Social, Email etc.

2. Client 2

- set up cross domain tracking code on both domains

- tested this in real-time reports and could see everything working.

- I am seeing goal completions

- this is ONLY working if the Channel is Direct or Referral. It shows no conversion data for Organic, AdWords, Social, Email etc.

How can this be? I followed the instructions here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en&ref_topic=2772342

Re: Cross Domain Tracking Working for Some Channels

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I should add.....

The cross domains (2 separate domains) are using the same tracking ID.

I've been in contact with a Google support person. I was told that the reason this was occurring was because I added in the domains under the Referral Exclusion list; I thought that this was a required step.

Perhaps you only use the Referral Exclusion when the domains aren't using the same tracking ID??

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
UPDATE: I have done as instructed and removed the main domain from the Referral Exclusion list. after nearly six hours I've no conversion data in other channels (other than Direct/Referral) and now I have self-referrals.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
OK - now Google support says I was right to have the domains listed in the referral exclusion list! So now they say the problem (with one of the sites) is

"Cookie gets refreshed during the redirect. > Cannot see data in GA under current View."

This doesn't make sense to me, as I am not well versed in cookie behavior. The thing is this is happening in two different accounts.